|The mission of the Bogazici University School of Engineering is to educate individuals for careers of leadership and innovation in industry, government and educational institutions; to expand the engineering knowledge base through original research; to contribute through professional services towards more prosperous and sustainable society.|
In light of the above mission statement, Department of Computer Engineering has established the following mission for itself:
Department of Computer Engineering Mission Statement
|The mission of the Computer Engineering program is to graduate economically, socially and ethically conscious engineers that are equipped with the necessary analytical, mathematical, decision-making, computing, communication, teamwork and leadership skills that they can use to creatively design, implement, manage, maintain and improve a wide spectrum of computer hardware, software and information systems in the modern society.|
Additionally, the program educational objectives of our department has been established as follows:
Department of Computer Engineering graduates will
- Pursue the practice of computer engineering in various industrial sectors not only at the national but also at the international level.
- Pursue advanced studies and engage in research activities in world-class institutions.
- Pursue a life-long career of personal and professional growth in the rapidly changing computing world with ethical consciousness and global awareness.
- Be able to assume innovator, executive, leadership, and entrepreneurial roles in their careers.
List of Computer Engineering Student Outcomes:
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
- An ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- An ability to communicate effectively
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global and societal context
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- A knowledge of contemporary issues
- An ability to use techniques, skills and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice
- Knowledge of probability and statistics, including applications appropriate to computer engineering.
- Knowledge of mathematics through differential and integral calculus and basic sciences
- Knowledge of computer science and engineering sciences necessary to analyze and design electrical and electronic devices, software and systems containing hardware and software components appropriate to computer engineering.
- Knowledge of discrete mathematics
- Knowledge of numerical mathematics and system simulation
1976 : "Computer Science" graduate program is established within the Faculty of Arts & Sciences.
1982 : "Computer Engineering Department is established within the Faculty of Engineering.
Computer Engineering undergraduate program is designed to meet the requirements of IEEE/ACM Joint Curriculum Committee.
Acceptance of new students to "Computer Science" program is frozen to allocate more resources to the new program.
1986 : First group of students graduated in Computer Engineering undergraduate program.
Computer Engineering MSc. and PhD programs are designed and started.
1988 : As a result of the rapid development of the Department and the enhancement via graduate programs, the Department is moved from Computer Center to the newly completed "Educational Technology Building" . Besides continuing research and education in Computer Engineering , the department organized to give service to entire University in computer literacy education and associated PC Laboratory service with the following facilities :
- Open to the benefit of entire University 5 PC laboratories equiped with total of 60 PC's (One is furnished as pilot classroom for Computer Aided Education ).
- "Software Engineering" and "Computer Hardware" educational laboratories.
- "Artificial Intelligence", "Computer Aided Design" and "Robotics" research laboratories.
- A minicomputer Laboratory giving service with a 7 terminal PDP 11/23 minicomputer.
1992 : Both undergraduate and graduate programs are revised to comply with the new report published by IEEE/ACM joint Curriculum Committee. Service courses are reorganized to give better service.. Total number of students registered in the Department reached to 360 including 57 graduate students.
1998 : Quality of education of the Computer Engineering Program is internationally certified by ABET acreditation board.
2003 : Software Engineering MSc program is started to reeducate 4 year graduates as software engineers at the graduate level to meet the high demands of industry for software professionals.
2004 : Computer Engineering Department reassured second time via ABET acreditation that it preserves high quality of education which was certified by the same institution 6 years ago.
2006 : Modernization and reinforcement of "Educational Technology Building" against earthquake hazard is completed . Computer Engineering Department which the size of staff has reached to 19 full time and 8 part time faculty with 21 research and teaching assistants moved back to its renovated building from a temporary stay in Hisar kampus.
2016: ABET Accreditation is renewed.
Computer Engineering Graduation Data
Academic Year / Prep Class / Freshman / Sophomore / Junior / Senior / Undergraduates (total) / Graduates
2011-2012 85 57 84 53 112 306 55 (class of 2012)
2012-2013 76 88 59 84 108 339 56 (class of 2013)
2013-2014 83 72 89 57 133 351 50 (class of 2014)
2014-2015 68 89 72 89 146 464 58 (class of 2015)
2015-2016 78 81 89 71 162 481 64 (class of 2016)
Located in the North campus, Computer Engineering department building is renovated in 2006 and 2016. The 8 floor building contains faculty and administrative offices, research laboratories, classrooms, computer laboratories and student lounges. Each classroom is equipped with a computer and a projector. Three of the classrooms are equipped with a total of 220 computers for student usage during practical lectures. The computer screens are placed inside the desks to faciliate lecturing. Bogazici University Computer Engineering Department has the highest number of computers per student among Turkish universities:
- Introductory Programming Laboratory/Classroom: 220 computers with Intel i5 processors, 8 GB RAM, and TFT screens (originally established in 2006, renewed in 2011 and 2016).
- Hardware Laboratory: 33 computers with 3.50 GHz, Intel i7 processors, digital systems, FPGAs, various types of microprocessors (renovated recently).
- Together with the research laboratories, there are about 400 computers in the department which are constantly renovated.
A room, at the entrance of the department building, is dedicated to students as a student lounge for studying and relaxing.